Last Updated: 17 August 2020
SparkleVerse strives to keep the number of rules to a minimum, however certain types of online behavior serve only to harm other participants or the event itself. Radical inclusion means that strangers are welcome to participate in our community; it does not mean tolerance of harmful behaviors.
Just as the landscape of any burn impacts its unique rules, the virtual landscape presents its own set of challenges. This document identifies behaviors and actions that will not be tolerated in any virtual spaces operated by SparkleVerse. In addition to the conduct detailed below, participants of any SparkleVerse events are expected to comply with all federal, state, and local laws.
- During the Event: Participants may report any incident in which another participant is engaging in any Prohibited Online Behavior or not upholding the Media and Adult Content Policies as detailed in this document via the Call a Ranger button enabled in SparkleVerse interface.
- Note: The Call a Ranger button will not be available in participant-driven streams on platforms not provided by SparkleVerse.
- Outside the Event: Conduct Violations can also be reported at any time through the SparkleVerse Incident Report Form found here http://sparkle.space/conduct-resources/ .
Prohibited Online Behaviors
The following types of behavior are unacceptable at any SparkleVerse online/virtual event.
Consent violations. In a virtual world, consent violations include, but are not limited to, unwanted sexual, violent, graphic, or racist expression, depiction, video, image, audio, chat, conduct, gesture, symbol, chat, and/or discussion (“content”) without the express consent of the involved participants. Includes any depictions, incitement, or conduct involving non-consensual sexual acts, as well as doxxing, blackmail, and re-sharing of participants content without the consent of all parties involved (see Media Policy, below).
Bullying. Any content that intimidates, abuses, menaces, or threatens participants and has the intention to exclude, silence, shame, or degrade a participant (or group) or incites others to do so. Includes all manner of stalking and harassment.
Stalking/Harassment. If someone asks you to leave them alone or stop communicating with them, continued engagement with them or following them from virtual room to room is considered stalking/harassment. Any content consisting of verbal assaults, threats of violence or harm, degrading or shaming speech, humiliation, and repeated unwanted contact are considered harassment.
Hate Speech. Any content, speech, conduct, or expression that consists of attacks or incitement of attacks against an individual or group of people and is defined in terms of race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender expression, religion, sexual orientation, immigration status, disability, health status, or any identifying characteristic. Hate Speech includes slurs and the incitement of hatred or violence against these groups. Also includes praise and glorification of terrorism, organized crime, hate groups, and/or dangerous indivudals or groups.
Hate Speech that is shared in an educational, historical, satirical, or artistic manner with the spirit of challenging it or raising awareness must clearly declare their intention surrounding that content, speech or expression.
Deliberate Derailment of an Online Event or Conversation. Any content that is unwelcome and intentionally controversial, contrary, repetitively off-topic, deliberately instigates anger or unwanted arguments, and/or any other content or conduct with the purpose of derailment or interruption of any online event, stream, or conversation.
Endangering Self or Others. Includes inciting, glorifying, instructing, or teaching self-harm or harm to others in any way.
SparkleVerse Media Policy
Due to the nature of the internet and the platforms involved, privacy can not be guaranteed for participants or for any content within or through SparkleVerse. However, as SparkleVerse is a consent oriented community, participants are required to get consent of all the involved parties before re-sharing of any content taken during the event.
SparkleVerse Adult Content Policy
Adult content (“18+”) is defined as any explicit sexual content and / or nudity for erotic purposes.
- SparkleVerse encourages Radical Self Expression including adult content.
- SparkleVerse encourages Radical Inclusion, excluding minors or anyone under the age of 18.
- SparkleVerse encourages Civic Responsibility, which guides us to obey the law.
In an online world, these three Principles collide in new ways. The SparkleVerse team has worked hard to come up with a balance that allows freedom of expression while protecting the organization, and has come up with a series of policies to manage this conflict which all participants will be required to uphold. All participants agree to:
- Participants: will be required to create a SparkleVerse profile and affirm they are over 18+
- Rooms: will be required to Self-Identify their content as either 18+. If participants want both kinds of content, they are encouraged to get two rooms.
18+ No Spectator Rule:
- 18+ Rooms. Rooms marked as 18+ must have all participants on streaming video to reasonably ensure no young children are present, i.e. No Lurkers
- Other rooms. If 18+ content emerges in an All Age room or is occurring on any stream in, through, or connected to SparkleVerse, the 18+ No Spectator Rule is in effect until the 18+ content is over.
- Minors in your Home. Just like at any physical burn event, minors are the responsibility of their guardians at all times. All participants with minors in their household are expected to monitor their minors while they are participating in SparkleVerse to ensure that they are not accessing adult content
- 18+ Rooms. Participants are expected assume rooms may contain 18+ content emerges, participants are asked to move the content to an 18+ room
- Alternate Platforms. 18+ content may occur in participant linked platforms where minors are not systemically blocked, such as Zoom, Facebook Live, or Twitch. All participants are required to uphold the Terms of Service for those platforms as well as monitor their homes and streams to ensure minors do not access 18+ content
Repercussions. Participants in violation can be removed from SparkleVerse rooms or the event, depending on the severity of the transgression. All removals from the event will result in a Conduct Committee case to review for additional repercussions, up to and including the suspension from participation in one or more future SparkleVerse events. Other actions, such as a formal warning or a removal from volunteering are also possible. Transgressions that violate federal, state, or local laws will be escalated to the appropriate authority.
Nothing herein is intended to or shall waive the right of the Board of Directors or Core Team of SparkleVerse to restrict the access of an individual or entity to any SparkleVerse event as it may determine, in its sole discretion, is warranted.
By attending or using any aspect of the SparkleVerse website or platform, I agree to abide and uphold this Code of Conduct and Policies during my participation at any SparkleVerse event.
This policy is subject to revision and updates – where you may check back at this website to see if any such updates have been made.,